Dzień Dobry

Dzień dobry-hello in what will be my new main language for the years to come. Follow me as my life changes again. Well, not really as I'm still working myself toward the same goal of getting a medical degree. However, little would I have guessed that I would spend the last few years fulfilling this goal in Poland. So, here I am, with a Polish vocabulary that doesn't help me when ordering food. Although, I can say Dziękuję (thank you). That, my friend, is gold worth!

Thursday, October 29, 2009

My life is...

Last night I stepped in dog poo, it was a bad ending for a bad day. Earlier I had realized I'm not a robot but a human being with limits and emotions. Just a day before we were asked in our Behavioral Science class to describe physical sensations that come with different emotions; anxiety, anger, shame, joy, and much more. This week I've felt most of them but lets focus on the good ones...

On Monday I had my first test in Anatomy: what they call a credit that we need to pass in order to take the final exam in Anatomy. It was extremely stressful to prepare for this as with most "first time tests." Making it even worse was the start time of 5pm which meant I had the whole day to gradually increase the stress level from almost a zero in the morning, to something close to exploding by the time the test started. It consisted of two parts: a 40 min theoretical and a 10 minutes practical pin test (naming structures of the bones). Later that night I was relieved to know I passed both parts and will therefore not need to worry about a retake next week. Defenitely a good thing as the tests for the other classes are coming up, one after the other.

The most stressful of them will most likely be our first Histology exam in about two weeks. That too, will consist of a practical part (identifying different tissues and cell structures) and a theoretical part. I've spent the major part of today reading some of the material that will be on that test and have come to a conclusion. You can call me crazy or weird but I have to admit that I do think adipose tissue (fat tissue) is very beautiful to look at*. Yet it's this tissue that in so many ways and in so many eyes go against beauty when in excess. The obvious example is that of fashion and the "ideal beauty" its trying to create removing "excess" fat on photos as well as in real life. More importantly though, there's a physiological ugliness created by extreme excess of this tissue. Direct or indirect, many are the physiological consequences coming from obesity, or being overweight.

With this said, I'd like invite you to take a look for yourself. Isn't it pretty after all? And remember, while excess amounts are bad for you, we need enough of it for functioning...

/Anna



* For those of you that doesn't know what adipose tissue looks like, judge yourselves: http://www.med.upenn.edu/ins/images3/ahima_white_adipose_tissue.jpg

1 Comments:

Blogger Z a h r a said...

remember to breathe my friend :)

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home